The Lititz Public Library welcomes book donations but accepts them with the understanding that library staff has the right to handle or dispose of them in the best interest of the library. Such material may be added to the collection provided it meets the standards of selection, although most will benefit the library through proceeds from annual book sales.
Following these guidelines for donations will assist the Friends of the Library with sorting and preparing donated books for our book sales.
These items ARE accepted for the book sale:
- Books for adults or children in hardback or paperback form.
- Audiobooks on CDs, DVDs, scripts, manuscripts in good condition.
- Books published within the last 10 years are preferred, but we will accept books published within the last 20 years if they are in very good condition.
- Donated items should be in good, readable condition without mold, mildew, odors, broken spines, torn covers or missing pages.
These items ARE NOT accepted:
- National Geographic magazines
- Music CDs
- VHS tapes
- Cassette tapes.
- Experience shows that these are not popular sale items. (Book Savers of Ephrata will accept textbooks. They are located at 1054 S. State Street, telephone 717-738-6964.)
How do I donate books?
Items may be dropped off inside the library to a specified location during regular business hours. Due to space constraints, volunteers request that donations be suspended the week prior to and during book sales, generally two weeks in September and two weeks in April. Carts are available for patrons to transport items from cars to the library. The library does not provide pick-up service.
Although the library acknowledges donations for tax purposes, staff cannot be responsible for assessing the monetary value of gifts.
Donations must be unqualified and once given to the library cannot be returned to the donor. Donations should not be left for staff to preview with the condition that donors will be contacted if materials are not added to the collection.
The Lititz Public Library is grateful to the community for its generosity and continuing support of the Friends of the Library book sales. The proceeds from the sales are important and assist the Friends with their work to improve the Library for the Lititz community.
Approved by the Board of Trustees December 3, 2007. Revised April 21, 2021