In 1764 the roof was raised on the new log Inn and Brother Horn moved from the Pilgerhaus to the Zum Anker “out on the Lancaster Road”. The old Inn now became the home of Tannenberg, the famous organ builder.
In 1803 a two story brick addition was added to the western side.
In 1848 the building was made three stories high.
In 1852 the Church sold the Inn to Samuel Lichtenthaler.
Today it is the General Sutter Hotel.
The Zum Anker was one of the finest taverns in Pennsylvania in the eighteenth century. Many prominent men of that era went out of their way to seek lodging in Old Litiz. “In 1774 Gov. Rebsdorff and Capt. Barge arrived here on their way from Charleston via Salem, North Carolina on their way to Philadelphia”. “In 1791 the Attorney General of the United States, the former Governor Randolph of Virginia, stopped on his way to Philadelphia. The Brethren’s Home Orchestra gave a concert that evening in his honor”.
From the very beginning, Main Street in Lititz was part of an important road that led from the Delaware River at Easton south to the Shenandoah Valley. Leaving the road to Lancaster at Brownstown it continued west through Lititz to the ferry at Marietta. Then it joined the Lancaster-York road (later called the “Great Philadelphia Wagon Road”) that went to Winchester.
A 1756 record states that “The North Carolina wagon passed through Litiz regularly every few months to and from Salem. This also afforded transportation between Lititz and Bethlehem.”
In 1761 a new road from Reading to Anderson’s Ferry, which led through Litiz, was laid out and trees were cut down. And in 1770 Lititz cooperated with Ephrata in having a bridge built over the Cocalico. Our share was sixteen dollars.
Many inns were on this early road, but only the Zum Anker is remembered.